Our Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) program provides instruction and assistance using American Sign Language (ASL). We serve the adult deaf and hard of hearing population in Houston and surrounding counties. The DHHS program has three service components: 1) English Literacy, 2) Computer Literacy, and 3) Employment.
We offer counseling, education and training, and support in integrative programs developed from evidence-based models in which the client is an active participant. These services are provided at no cost to our clients.
Program Background: It is estimated that the number of people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing in Texas is greater than 3.8 million. According to Texas Workforce Solutions, there are 60,000 unemployed people in Harris County who are deaf and hard of hearing. Many DHHS clients at CRR earn less than $5,000 per year, and some have no earnings at all. The reading ability of those seeking our services is frequently at the second- or third-grade level, and many communicate through American Sign Language (ASL).
CRR is the premier agency in Houston providing these services to support the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) community.
Nearly one in four of our DHHS clients is an ex-offender or in recovery from substance use disorder, and some 90% are receiving government assistance or charity. Our clients come from the Middle East, Asia and Africa as well as North America.
We provide American Sign Language instruction for deaf adults, including those who have relocated to the United States from other countries. Assistance is also provided for those seeking to take the United States Naturalization test or the written portion of the Texas Driver’s License examination.
Contact us at: 832-431-3785 (Video Phone)
- Literacy Classes: Our self-paced classes provide instruction in basic math, reading and writing skills for persons interested in acquiring a GED.
- Individual Tutorials: We offer tutorials for persons seeking citizenship, driver’s license attainment, or assistance with college course work.
- Computer Literacy Classes: Our classes include introduction to Windows, Microsoft Office programs, Internet search skills, and email set-up and use.
- Job-Readiness Training: Our facilitators teach clients effective resume writing skills, interviewing techniques, job search and follow-up skills and techniques.
- Job Placement Assistance: Our support staff helps clients search and find job leads and provides assistance with contacting employers.
- Assistive Listening Devices: We offer on-site listening devices which are made available for calling employment prospects.
- Interpreter: By appointments, we provide interpreters to arrange and accompany CRR’s deaf and hard of hearing clients to their job interview.
- American Sign Language (ASL) Training: We provide FREE American Sign Language training to our clients, their families and friends, and to the public. Contact us at (VP) 832-431-3785.